Monday, July 19, 2010

leaving a legacy

This is the theme of the last challenge I am doing for points at the DSM forum. As with the ice cream layout, I've found it difficult to keep myself in a one page layout. However I decided to do it because I wasn't sure people wold be interested in all the boring stuff I wanted to write. Since I am not sure how well you will be able to read the journaling from my layout - in case you want to - I am going to copy it here too. First part of the journaling is my Rooms in Volga poem that I love so much. Next is a little explanation of why I chose to do this as my leaving a legacy layout and what AUBG meant for me.

Rooms in Volga, people on the lobby,
My room messy 6 days a week, my roommates,
Cosmetics all over the place, too many of them
For more than 3 women.
Sun glasses on the fridge, and lights on all the time…
Empty plastic bottles in the bathroom,
Waiting to be filled with water that comes
Once a day between 5 and 10pm.
Undone beds and cloths all over,
Pictures on my desk, with two different guys;
Both of them Scorpios and blue-eyed.
Omi, my animal-toy, somewhere in the bed
That is like a boat and makes me think
I'll get seasick one day.

The American University in Bulgaria was the place that opened both my mind and my way in life. It was here that I got my diploma and it was because of it that I had to go to the United States every summer to work.
I met my husband in the U.S. because we were both there trying to make a better life for ourselves. Thus without going to this university I know I would have missed a lot of great things in my life. Now that period of my life is one of the ones I treasure the most.

This was the first thing I wanted to write in the layout, but it was way too much, so I had to shorten it to the paragraph above.

One of the most beautiful and important periods of my life (except for being pregnant with Alex and getting married with Howard) was the period I was a student. I studied at the American University in Bulgaria, in a little town called Blagoevgrad, which we always shorten to Blago. Blago is the perfect town for being a student: smaller town with lots of restaurant and coffee places with accessible prices and of course a few clubs. I spent 4 and half years of my life being a student there and loved every minute of it, except maybe some of the maths and economics classes. When I first got there students were staying in old communists
hotels that were rented and used as dorms. I stayed in the most central one called Volga. A lot of people didn't like it because it used to be known as "the place where no one sleeps." I stayed in a couple of different rooms in that dorm, but the one that remained the freshest in my memory is room 308. If only these rooms could talk and say just a bit of the things that happened there; nothing wrong or illegal, but those walls heard a lot of secrets and saw a lot of fun. After the new dorm was built, the university gave up the old hotels and all students had to live in campus. I am not saying that place was not nice, but nothing will ever compare with my Volga times. And just to give you a glimpse of my student years, I'll share with you one of the poems I wrote. The poem is called "Rooms in Volga


No comments:

Post a Comment